Every archer or target shooter has their favorite type of arrow. These arrows, however, require a special target for practice. A broadhead archery target is what archers shoot at. It is a stationary target that’s positioned at varying distances.
A good target is durable, allows easy arrow removal, comes at an affordable price, and offers value for your money. So what is the best archery target for a broadhead?
As with most things today there’s a multitude of different styles on the market. Bags, foam blocks, 3D targets for archery, and good old paper targets top the listings. We searched through the market to find the best broadhead targets for crossbows. Below are our top 10 best archery targets that offer an incredible valuable.
- 1 Importance of Using the Best Archery Target for Broadheads
- 2 Types of archery target for broadheads and Shooting Practice
- 3 Best Archery Target for Broadheads Reviews – Experts Pick
- 3.1 1. Field Logic-Shooter 3D Archery Bear Target
- 3.2 2. Rinehart RhinoBlock Target
- 3.3 3. Morrell Double Duty for crossbow
- 3.4 4. Morrell Supreme Range Field Point Bag – Crossbow targets for 400 fps
- 3.5 5. Delta Howling Coyote 3D Target
- 3.6 6. Field Logic-Shooter 3D Archery Hog Target
- 3.7 7. BUP Sports the Shield Archery Target
- 3.8 8. Delta 51490 Bloodline Buck
- 3.9 9. SpyderWeb ST 24 XL NO SPEED LIMIT
- 3.10 10. Morrell Super Duper Field Point Bag Archery Target
- 4 Important Things to Consider When Buying the Best archery target for broadheads
- 4.1 Target Type
- 4.2 Category of Archery
- 4.3 Design and Construction
- 4.4 Maintenance
- 4.5 Easy Removal
- 4.6 Mobility
- 4.7 Durability
- 5 Conclusion
Importance of Using the Best Archery Target for Broadheads
Some targets are good for field points, some are good for broadheads, others are designed to work best with crossbows bolts. Target shooting is arguably the safest and easiest way to practice archery.
It is also helpful when you are teaching your kids who are still a new to archery. Archers can figure out what shots they need to improve on before heading into the woods. To practice, you’ll need a good target.
In this roundup, we’re going to review some of the best practice shooting targets available today, and introduce you to our top picks for each style and type.
Recommended: Best cold weather hunting clothes
Types of archery target for broadheads and Shooting Practice
Below are the following types of archery targets for shooting practice available today:
Bag targets are generally comprised of a synthetic fiberfill that simply stops your arrow, yet still allows for easy arrow removal.
Bag targets are actually only meant for field points. You can use any type of compound bow setup, but be sure you use field points.
Foam Layer Block Targets
They are portable and lightweight, offer fairly easy removal of arrows for light bows, and are economical to boot.
Although you can use your best broadhead on this type of target, field points will dramatically extend the life of your target.
3D Practice Targets
They come in virtually every animal species to provide for an entertaining experience. Most of these archery targets come with scoring rings on the vital organs. This allows for more realistic practice.
The only flaw is that the foam cores can wear out with repetition. They are best practiced with using field points, as you are bound to lose your best broadhead tip inside the foam core.
Before going through the list, here is the quick list for you if you do not have much time to spend reading reviews.
BEST PRACTICING TARGET
PERFECT FOR SHOOTING ACCURACY
BEST CHOICE FOR TURKEY HUNTERS
Best Archery Target for Broadheads Reviews – Experts Pick
1. Field Logic-Shooter 3D Archery Bear Target
The Field Logic Shooter Buck 3D Archery Target 71600 is no doubt one of the best 3D archery targets available today. It is perfect for any serious deer hunter that fancies hunting with a bow. The bear target is designed with scoring rings in the vital regions. This provides the user impressive practical hunting practice.
It has a shoulder height of 31 inches and features a handy weather-resistant build.
This target has replaceable closed-cell compression and retrieving arrows won’t be a problem. With just a single pull, the arrows should come out.
The bear target has an insert that is roughly 25% bigger compared to other targets like it. It also includes ground stakes for holding it firm in the wind or rain.
With such a large surface area, this practical target is sure to make you a skilled hunter. This is a good archery target to use as a compound bow target to practice for deer season.
- Measurements 36.5 x 23.8 x 9.25 inches
- Manufacturer Feradyne Outdoors LLC
- Height 31″
- Weight 13.1 Pounds
- The target is one of the best for realistic practice and allows for easy arrow removal
- The target has a good built, and it’s very sturdy
- The ground stakes give stability to the target
- The 3D bear is made of high-impact foam
- The bear target is made of weather resistant material
- The target is quite heavy
- The bear target may need some paint from time to time
- The target is not made of “self-healing” foam
2. Rinehart RhinoBlock Target
If you are a beginner archer , this is the best broadhead archery target for you. It can be used for your compound bow or any other type.
The manufacturer ensures that the product lasts longer than others. This is because it is made of Rinehart’s legendary self healing foam. This ensures your target can take a ton of shots and still maintain its integrity and shape for longer. Additionally, the package comes with a target insert for replacement.
It has six sides and comes with 3-D vital zones for absolute accuracy. What do I mean? This target has a large cross-sectional area to absorb arrows from every angle thereby promising that you will never miss your target.
For arrow positioning, it has an appreciably small target. For easy transport, it is fitted with a rope handle, and for easy elevation, it is designed with mounting holes.
The product features forty high-visibility target zones, stops field points, two full sides of 3-D deer vital zones for expendable broadheads.
- Measurements 16″l. x 16″d. x 13″h.
- Manufacturer Rinehart
- Height 13″
- The package comes with replaceable target inserts
- 3D deer target faces
- The bear target is durable, it is made with Rinehart’s legendary self healing foam
- High visibility, low light target zones
- It is approved for high FPS
- Its price is a bit high
- It may take some effort to remove arrows
- Target is not easy to carry around since it is heavy
3. Morrell Double Duty for crossbow
The Morrell 131 Double Duty 450 FPS Field Point Archery Bag Target is among the best bag targets. It is popular for halting many kinds of arrows: crossbows, traditional bows, recurve bows, and compound bows.
It is in a perfect cubic form with two straps at the top. This allows for easy transportation for you or you and a friend. To ensure it lasts a long time, it comes with a replaceable target cover. Additionally, the bag target can take more than a thousand hits. It is made of durable burlap and stuffing material to enhance durability.
The bag provides you with four surfaces that you can practice on. It also allows easy removal of arrows. You can get an arrow out with just two fingers.
All you’ll need for target practice is the bull’s eyes and deer vitals. A dartboard or nine board has been painted on each side of this block.
Due to its thick core, this block archery target is suitable high speed arrows. It is capable of stopping arrows traveling at 450 FPS without the arrow penetrating the other side of the block.
And the best part is that the weight of this cubic block balances well on the base so you won’t need a stand for it.
- Measurements 19.5 x 19.25 x 19.25 inches
- Manufacturer Morrell
- Height 36″
- Weight 0.8 Ounces
- It is a free standing target bag that doesn’t require a stand
- The handles allow for efficient portability
- The bag target is made of durable material and also comes with a replaceable cover to ensure your target’s life is longer
- The bag needs some effort to remove the arrows
- It has tiny surface target spots
- It is only effective for bow under 450 FPS
4. Morrell Supreme Range Field Point Bag – Crossbow targets for 400 fps
The Morrell Supreme Range Field Point Archery Target is perfect for all users. It is made of a waterproof material that makes it safe even in harsh weather.
The Morrell Supreme Range has an attractive design. It features a brilliantly colored target on one side, with blue, black, red, and yellow colorings, while the other side features four smaller yellow and red targets for more experienced targeting.
The target bag stands perfectly on its own. However, the target comes with grommets that allow you to hang this target from either a tree or a stand.
The center of this target comprises a nucleus that has excellent arrow stopping power, along with the use of a patented Multi-Layered Density Design and Internal Frame System provides this target with extended life that exceeds many other comparable targets of its type.
This target is absolutely 100% weatherproof, so it can be left outside no matter what the weather offers, and it makes for a great target for training for the NASP Program.
- Measurements 31 x 14 x 29 inches
- Manufacturer Big Rock
- Weight 0.8 Ounces
- Target is lightweight, making it easy to carry
- It is made of weatherproof material, to withstand harsh weather
- It allows easy arrow removal
- The beautiful design fades off after sometime
- The bag may not be fit for all types of archery
5. Delta Howling Coyote 3D Target
- The package comes with head and body replacement
- It is made of self healing foam for longevity
- The scoring rings on the vital organs allow for realistic practice
- Fun and safe to use
- It is made for expendable broadhead and field tip arrows
- Despite the praise, the Flex form material may be too flexible which may allow the arrows to shoot straight through the target at a high FPS
- May not be fit for all series of archery targets
6. Field Logic-Shooter 3D Archery Hog Target
The Field Logic-Shooter 3D Archery Hog Target is made for realistic practice. It has a brilliant and durable build that is weather-resistant.
This target is made of relatively high impact foam, such that the 1-piece target can accommodate a whole lot of shots from field points and broadheads.
The lifelike boar design provides an exact appearance and angles, and also come with scoring rings in the vitals area which may aid in competitions using 3D targets.
This is a great archery target because of its durability, strength, weather resistance, and its ability to withstand more than a hundred shots without losing it shape.
- Measurements 32.3 x 19.8 x 8.25 inches
- Manufacturer Feradyne Outdoors Llc
- Weight 9 Pounds
- The target comes with a scoring ring on the vital organs for realistic practice
- The archer target is designed with weather resistant material
- It is a broadhead target that is durable
- It comes with ground stakes for stability
- It is easy to pull out arrows when using this target
- The size is a bit small
- Only intended as a 3D archery target
- The inside is made of a steel tube which can make arrows bend
7. BUP Sports the Shield Archery Target
If you want the perfect backstop for backyard field practice, then you can’t go wrong with THE SHIELD archery target.
It is great for practicing long shots and for tuning your bow. It stops carbon, aluminum, and wood arrows, but they must be field tips. Moving it around is easy as it’s not heavy at all. It allows for easy removal of arrows. It’s a great backstop for a 3D target, but you can only get it in one color (black).
The shield archery backstop has put virtually everyone’s choice into consideration to have come in different sizes which includes: 2’x2′ 3’x4′ 4’x6′ 5’x6′ 6’x6′ 6’x7′ 6’x8′ 6’x9′ 6’x10′ 6’x11′ 6’x12′ 6’x13′ 6’x14′.
With all of these options, you are sure to find the right size for your target practice.
- Manufacturer BUP Sports
- Size varying
- It is a lightweight target
- Comes in various styles
- There are many different sizes to choose from
- It is easy to pull out arrows
- It is only made for field tips
- Just one color (black)
8. Delta 51490 Bloodline Buck
Delta McKenzie’s Bloodline Buck 3-D Archery Target is made with FlexFoam for exceptional arrow-stopping power, durability, and simple arrow removal. The Bloodline archery target can withstand any arrow. Also, it can take a pounding from any type of bow: crossbow, compound, and so on.
It commands an arrow speed of 300 – 350 FPS. It features a large body and aggressive expression to bring about a tough appearance.
Another intriguing thing about this target is that it is rugged enough to withstand broadhead tips. It will last a long time making it worth the price.
This buck is life-like with detailed markings and IBO scoring. It also features twist lock assembly, easy to see lines for scoring and removable antlers.
At the base of the Delta Target product line is the legendary line of 3D Deer Targets.
Generally, Delta McKenzie’s Bloodline Buck 3-D Archery Target is widely recognized for its realism, durability, and affordability. that is why we had to put it on the list of archery targets you should consider.
- Measurements 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weight 1 Pounds
- Manufacturer Big Rock Sports
- It comes at an affordable price
- Easy arrow retrieval
- Features a large body for realistic practice
- The legs are shaky
- The antlers sometimes fall off
9. SpyderWeb ST 24 XL NO SPEED LIMIT
It’s obvious why the SpyderWeb ST XL made it on to this list, that’s because it’s got a feature which you can rarely find in other targets of its range: there are no speed limits.
It has tremendous stopping power, yet still provides super-easy arrow retrieval. The self-healing Spyder was devised to last longer than any other target face out there.
It has a reinforced steel handle for stable transportation. It can manipulate both large and small diameter arrows but was made only for field point arrows.
It measures 24x24x15 inches and weights 62 pounds. It also comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Measurements 24x24x15 inches
- Manufacturer SpyderWeb Targets
- Weight 62 pounds
- Steel handle for easy pick up
- No speed limit target
- Only for field point arrows
10. Morrell Super Duper Field Point Bag Archery Target
The MLT Super Duper Target is the best archery target that also comes at an affordable price. It is made of a high quality, durable material.
Yellow Jacket is cheaper than most other outdoor range targets, even though it’s built from the same multi-layered density design. We like the bright yellow visibility on the Super Duper targets. It makes it easy to see in all light conditions and from a distance. The target uses the Morrell internal frame system, which is a fancy way of saying, you can shoot nearly anywhere on the bag without issue.
The bag comes with a more brilliant and satisfying finish. One side has a target circle, while the other has vital deer organs drawn inside a large target ring. Those are really useful layouts for deer hunters.
- Manufacturer Morrell
- Yellow jacket comes at a cheap price
- It is easy to pull out arrows from this target
- Has a brilliant and inviting finish
- Can be easily noticed from all angles
- Comes with handles making it easy to carry
- The grommets allow for easy hanging
- Yellow Jacket bag target fades quickly
- Doesn’t offer a realistic looking target
Read: Bow hunting gloves
Important Things to Consider When Buying the Best archery target for broadheads
Choosing the best broadhead archery target for your needs leans more on what you are actually practicing for and on the type of equipment you plan to use (bow type and arrow type).
Below, you will find some factors to consider before getting an archery target as well as a brief insight into the different types and purposes they are suitable for.
While picking the best target for your use, you have to consider the type. There are three target options: the 3-D practice target, the bag target and the foam block target. Each type is explained above.
Category of Archery
First, what are you buying the archery target to practice for? Is it for target shooting or field shooting? If you’re going for target shooting, then you might want to consider getting a bag or block archery target as they provide you with a more target similar to what is used in competitions.
But if you’re interested in the field shooting or practicing for hunting, then your choice of a target should lean more towards the 3D practice targets. They come in 3D shapes of popular prey like the deer, bears, turkeys, hogs, and so on. So, you will probably a 3D practice target for the prey you’re planning to hunt.
Design and Construction
You should also consider the design and construction before getting the target.
Remember, you’re buying an archery target for two purposes: to provide you with a focal point and secondly, to provide a place where your arrows will land without getting damaged.
Weather resistant targets are also ones to look out for. The best targets are designed with durable weather resistant material. This ensures that they can stand harsh weather conditions and also serve you longer. Plus, you won’t have to move them every time it rains or snows.
With repeated use, the covering on a bag target or the insert in a foam target will get damaged and will need to be replaced.
When shopping for an outdoor archery target, you might want to put this into consideration. Generally, heavier targets are more durable than lighter ones.
So, if you are looking for something that may last a long time and help reduce your cost of maintenance, then your best bet is getting a heavier archery target.
You probably will not want to spend all your archery practice time pulling arrows from your target.
A good archery target should make it easy to pull out bolts. It should allow you to use two fingers as soon as you want it without using any other equipment.
Ease of mobility is something you might want to consider before paying for a target, especially if you plan to practice in different places.
Some targets come with straps to easily move while others are lightweight for easy carrying. If you practice at different locations, then you might want to get a target that’s a little lighter and comes with a strap.
A good target should be able to last at least one year before being replaced.
Since the core material of most bag targets often outlives the cover material, you might want to find one with a replacement cover, so you don’t throw the target away when the cover gets worn out.
Generally heavier targets are more durable and will last longer than lightweight ones, just like the big bow archery targets. [/su_box]
Which Archery Target is the Best?
All the targets come with different archery functions. The foam targets are best for target practice with broadheads and everyday practice. The bag targets are for everyday use and the 3D targets are the best targets to mimic a real-life hunt.
What Foam is Used for Archery Targets?
There exists different kinds of archery practice foams. Most are made of FlexFoam, among other materials. The best foam is of made of good quality materials that don’t allow arrows to go through. The best one is moderate in weight, self-healing, and has handles for carrying around.
Can You Use Broadheads for Target Practice?
You sure can use broadheads for target practice. However it is advised to use the broadheads on foam targets to avoid breaking or dulling the tips.
What is the Best Archery Target for Broadheads?
All of these are good quality archery targets. When buying, consider all the factors we have highlighted such as durability and so on. However, the one that stands out to us is the Delta 51490 Bloodline Buck. It can take any arrow, is a foam target, and can withstand harsh weather, among other great features.
Whatever your goal, choosing the best archery target for broadheads can help you sharpen your skills for a successful hunt this fall. The target of archery that you prefer will go a long way towards promoting your bowhunting skills.